Sunday, May 19, 2013

Fishing Report - High Bridge / Tomoka Basin

Thursday May. 16, 2013
Weather: 69 deg. at launch time
Clear skys
wind: light
Target Fish: Redfish, Trout

My fishing partner, Rick Edwards wanted to fish the area between High Bridge and the Tomoka River this morning. I had selected the location for our last adventure so it was his turn to be captain today. I had reservations about his selection due to all the recent rain runoff washing into the area.

We were joined by Dr. TR on this trip. We launched about 7:00 AM at high bridge and headed south.
We split up at the mouth of a creek and I paddled in to see what I could find. Just as I entered the creek I spotted a large school of mullet in the mouth of a small drain. This would be my first cast of the morning. I was fishing a 5M51 MirrOlure (floater) on one rod and a 17MR on another. When the 5M landed in the mullet school it was almost immediately smashed by a nice Snook.



Catching a fish on the first cast is usually not a good sign and that would be the case today. I hooked up with one more fish on the 17MR that I think was another snook but did not get to ID it before it pulled off. That would be it for the morning for me. I did not see any top water action, no pushing, no nothing. There was a little bit of bait here and there but not to much in the way of predator fish.

I decided to head back to the launch about 8:45 and left Rick and TR on their own. They did manage to catch a few fish themselves but they fished until noon to do it. Together they landed (3) reds, (2) trout and a jack. Most were caught on live shrimp but one of the reds attacked a gold spoon.

I think the area just need some time for the salinity to build back up.

Larry Stephens


1 comment:

  1. Very informative post. Keep up the good work. I would really look forward to your other posts.

    Alaska Fishing Charters

    ReplyDelete