Saturday, August 18, 2012

When Pelicans Attack!

.
I put in at N 12th street in Flagler Beach yesterday morning about 7:30. There was plenty of pogy action and I set about snagging some for bait.

I had lost a pogy or two to sharks and even had one follow my pogy right to the boat, frantically trying to catch what was left of the bait.

Pelicans were everywhere! They were really feeding hard and even diving the school of pogies I was fishing. I felt they were crowding me just a little but what could I do.

I had just made a cast with my snag rod when out of no where a pelican dives the school out ahead of me in the general direction  of my cast. I started ripping the rod to snag a fresh bait. About my third sweep of the rod I snagged something! Next thing I know that something is ripping line off  my little spinning reel at an alarming rate. The fight was on!

About this time I notice the pelican leaving and my line is going in that general direction. All of the sudden, it hits me!! I'VE GOT THE PELICAN!

OH NO, I'M ABOUT TO BE SPOOLED BY A PELICAN!


Immediately I start wrenching down on the drag to halt the quickly departing bird. Once the line comes tight he splashes back down.

Apparently, 30# Power Pro is perfectly matched for large brown pelicans. Who knew?

Well, it's me against the pelican from there.....pump and wind, pump and wind!




Of course, he don't know I mean him no harm and I'm just trying to make things right. When I finally get him alongside the yak, he goes on the offensive and attacks!!



Luckily, my paddle took the worst of it. It was across my lap and most of his focus was on it. That allowed me just the distraction I needed and I was able to get the pelican free from his entrapment.

Personally, I faulted the pelican for his negligence, I told him so too! He argued I was the idiot and accused me of  fishing recklessly. He really made an ugly scene, actually.

After our argument and now freed, he floated away with a puzzled look of "what the %&$#!$ just happened?"

I paddled back his way to make sure he was o.k.. He finally flushed and was off into the wild blue.




I could be mistaken but I would have sworn he shot me a bird as he departed.

Pelicans!

Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment