Monday, August 1, 2011

Fishing Report - Flagler Beach Surf 7-29-11

.
Fishing Report - Flagler Beach Surf 7-29-11

July 29, 2011
Weather: sunny
Wind : light winds
Water was pretty smooth early 1-2’ swell



Friday morning: I made a plan to meet Len just after daylight at the beach this morning. I got there ahead of him to scout and locate our launch point.

It was 7:30 and there was no sign of Len yet. Man, I‘m ready to! I had just seen a big tarpon strike in the bait pod I planned to put in on. I grabbed my phone and called Len….”Where you at man“…..”Larry, I couldn’t find my paddle leash but I just located it and I’ll be on my way”. I had to give him a reprimand! “You should have got all that squared away last night”.

Well, while I was talking to him another tarpon busted in the bait sending pogies flying….”I’ve got to go Len! I’ll see you when you get here, I’m at N. 15th Street“……click!

I made it thru the surf pretty easily and paddled for the bait pod with tarpon striking and rolling. I probably saw 25-30 strikes in about 30-40 minutes.

The bait pod was so large you could not see the end of it. It is hard to comprehend the numbers.

If you can believe this....everything in the photo is bait! except the little sliver
of water on the left......

Once again the Tarpons were quite elusive and I could not get one hooked up. By the time Len arrived after eight AM, the tarpon action was all but over and we only saw a couple strikes after that. I was fighting a small 36” shark when I noticed Len on the beach getting ready to launch. I had a bait or two bit in two here and there but there just did not seem to be many fish under the bait. I was not even seeing anything on the fish finder. I was in about 28 to 30’ of water most of the time.


Len & I were slowly moving ahead with my pogie on about a 3-4’ lead when all the sudden the rod almost got yanked over board! I got my hand on it before the fish stole it. I could hardly believe it. He turned out to be another small, maybe 42” sharkie. He pulled off after a short fight.

At this point the bait pods were almost gone with just a few scattered, thin pods visible.

It was getting late and I had not seen any striking action for a while so we called off the hunt so we could both get back and get some work done.

                                                        Len, just outside the bait school.

Maybe I can make something happen tomorrow!

Good Luck,
Larry

All the dark water is bait, there are a couple jumpers, middle left.


Everything that is dark is bait!!! Unbelievable!



Isolated bait pod (The dark line in the middle)

Len, just outside the edge of the bait.

Len getting rolled on the way in!

Len, after a roll-over! I love it!
To be honset I ended up upside down myself the day before, it's
just a matter of time so consider yourself warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment