Saturday, August 20, 2011

Tarpon Quest! 7-30-11


Well, this past saturday was a mile stone for me. I have been wanting to catch a tarpon from my yak in the surf for 3 years now and it finally all came together like shooting fish in a barrel. The way this is normally done is snaging a pogie out of a big pod of bait and pitching him back in, free line.

The first year I jumped one tarpon in the 110 to 120# range and there was a lot of tarpon action but the bait schools were gone pretty quick. This past year the schools of pogies never showed up that I know of. However, this year they are here in force. An electrician friend of mine called me last week to tell me he was wiring a house at the beach and the bait school in the surf stretched as far as the eye could see!

I scouted it that day and he was not lying. At the first spot I pulled over to glass the surf.....I couldn't believe my eyes....the pogy pod was 2-300yds wide and stretched as far as I could see with my 10X32 nikons.


                                          Just a corner of a large school of pogies!

             
                        That's solid pogies except the little sliver on the right at the skyline, Unbelievable!

I did not see much for striking action but I figured with that much bait there had to be some predators under them.

Thursday I fished by myself and saw 30-40 tarpon strikes but there was so much bait I could not get a tarpon to find the pogy with the hook in it. I had one strike so close to me I could have touched it....I had pogies blown all into the boat! I came close to walking on water! I promise you that will get your attention.

Friday the tarpon action only lasted til about 8:00 and there was no more striking. I did catch two small sharks in the 36-42" range.



Saturday My electrician buddy borrowed a yak and we were in the water a little after 7:00AM. Rick had never been in a kayak before but he did a good job with the surf entry. I snagged us two pogies on the first cast into the school and Rick paddled over to another pod 40-50yds away. About the time he went to make his first cast I hooked up with a monster. There was two big charging tail walks and the battle was on! I probably didn't have a bait in the water more than 3 minutes.

The mammoth tarpon pull me over 3 1/2 miles and took 1 hour and 51 minutes to land. We ended up over 2 miles out and in 55' of water. The fish was 69" to the fork with a 40"girth and a whopping 144#!!!!



 


                                    Look at that bow wake!

When the fish finally rolled to the top Rick pulled his boat alongside and hefted him onto his yak for a picture. He slid him back in the water and I pulled the tarpon over for my shot but before I could get my had in his mouth the hook popped out! He turned nose down and slowly swam away. So, here's Rick with my tarpon! What a monster!





This thing put up one hell of a fight. By the time it was over we decided to work our way back and we fished a pod or two for just a minute but we had about had enough so we called it a day.

The pogies are moving south and I have not seen any more pods since Monday But I got a report today that the tarpon are thick as flies near Cocoa Beach.

Larry S.



That's some glassy water, perfect conditions!


Man that thing was pullin' there!









What a day!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment