Saturday, June 2, 2012

N. Indian River Lagoon Fishing Report 6-2-12

.
After finding some trout last Sunday in the NIRL I was chomping at the bit to get back on them. I got a call from one of my fishing partners Rick, looking to make a plan for a fishing trip this morning. I told him my plan was to put in at Scottsmoor at 6:00 AM and whoop up on some trout! He was in!

The wind forcast was for very light winds out of the west but it was already stirring the tops of the cabbage palms when we arrived. We hurried and got our boats launched and paddled for deeper water. We probably launched about 6:30.

The trout have been hanging out in the deeper water just outside of the grass flat in about the 2'8"-3'6" depth.

We fished top water first and there was some action but I switched over to the old reliable 17mr pretty quickly. I probably had not made 10 casts before I hooked up a trout.

I ended up catching about 8 trout and loosing that many more along with 2 or 3 ladyfish. Rick caught about the same but the problem was they were all pretty small and we could not put one on the boat that would make the slot.

The other strange thing was the lack of ladyfish activity and the lack of bait. Later in the morning we pushed up onto the flat and headed south looking for a redfish but there was no activity at all on the flat. We did not even jump a redfish and there was almost no bait activity. I guess that's a good reason for the reds not to be there either.

Well, here's some pictures from the trip I just wish they had been a little bigger.

Larry S.









No comments:

Post a Comment