Sunday, December 9, 2012

Fishing Report - Crappie 12-8-12

Dec. 8, 2012
Weather: Overcast with Fog
Wind : 0-4 mph
Target Species: Crappie (Specks)
Method: Drifting with Live Minnows
Location: Area Lake, Deland, Fl.

Catch: (8) Specks (Dad/Mom boated 37 Specks along with one 3 lb channel cat and a few bream)


My Dad has really been working on the Crappie over the last couple of weeks. They are known by many names but we call them Specks. He has been doing some drifting and trolling for them on a local lake and has been catching 25-30 every trip.

I made a plan to meet Dad at the lake at daylight to see what we could do, except I would fish from my Tarpon 120 kayak. I figured I could handle at least (2) fiberglass cane poles and one spinning rod and still be able to paddle. I prefer to fish for Specks in tree tops that are blown over in the river but you've got to fish where the fish are biting!

We fished with live Missouri minnows and ended up having a pretty good haul but we had to fish most of the day for them. The bad part was that I landed a disproportional amount of them. I struggled to land (8) while my Dar hauled in (37) with another 10 or so that they through back. He also caught one channel cat that was about 3 lbs and a few bream.

I believe that my short stringer was a result of  fishing to deep. Once I shallowed up my cork a little it seemed to make a big difference. I ended up catching more in an hour than I had the whole morning.

It was a really foggy morning and stayed overcast even after the fog burned off. The wind was perfect all morning being 0-4 mph and blowing right down the lake so drifting was easy.

Though we ended up with a pretty impressive string of fish, it was actually a little slow going. we would catch 2 or three and then nothing for 10-15 minutes.

I think I ended up with about 8 nice bags of fillets ready for some hot oil.



Tight Lines,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment