Thursday, September 6, 2012

Quantum Boca Reel Service

.
Well, If you saw my post on my Okuma Epixor EF-65a Spinning Reel with the broken reel handle you saw my mention of my back up reel, the Quantum Boca reel went down at the same time.

Here is the up date on both and what the Manuf. did to remedy the situation.

Okuma Epixor: First, I went to the Okuma site to look up the part I neede
d which was the reel handle. To my surprise, there was no means to look up a part or place an order? Still can't believe that.

So, I was reduced to placing a call to them. The Rep. I spoke to listened to my spiel about how the reel handle snapped right in the middle of a fight with a big false Albacor. When I was done he apologized for the break down and asked for my name and mailing address? He related that he would have one in the mail today.....all I needed to do was pay $3.00 for shipping!

You can't beat that and the handle arrived in short order as promised. 5 stars for Okuma on the service and I recommend this reel for anyone looking for a cost effective quality spinning reel. I use this reel for Tarpon fishing from my kayak and don't want to chance loosing a $150-200 reel though the Boca 70 does retail for $139. I is a well built reel but I like to reserve it a a back up due to it's cost.

Quantum Boca 70:

Here's what happened with the Boca. Though this reel has hardly been used, the clutch mechanism fell apart when I tore the reel down for cleaning.


O.k, I thought, no big deal, I'll just call up Quantum and order a new one. However, There was a major problem with that! Quantum did not have any! "What? you have to be kidding me, I said! this is a $140 reel!!

All the Rep. could tell me was to box it up and send it back and they would have a reel tech look at it.

I suspected they were planning to swap me out for a comparable reel. After a long wait of about three weeks.....I received a package in the mail from Quantum. Inside was a brand new Boca 80! no charge!
The reel is a little larger than what I want  but better a new 80 than a broken 70! Though they were slow I would still give Quantum 5 stars as this reel was actually out of warranty. I was in mint condition though.



I think Quantum must have discontinued the Boca line of reels and I have not looked into what is replacing the line. So far I would recommend them as a company to this point. They stood behind their product!

Best of Luck,
Larry S.




No comments:

Post a Comment