Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fishing Report - Jacks, Mangrove Snapper, Trout 8-23-12

.
Tide: Tail end of Out-going
Time Fished: 8:00 am - 10:00m
M.F.-4:30 AM
Partly Cloudy
Wind: SW at 2-4 mph

Other Observations:

Catch:
-(6) Jack Crevalle
-(1) Trout
-(1) small mangrove snapper, (finally crossed up a legal one).
-(1) Ribbon Fish!!!!

I put in at the launch north of Marineland again this morning. I was running a little late but probably got on the water by 8:00 AM. That was late and had I been there at daylight I could have easily had a 20 fish day!

I brought a plug rod with me this morning due to the top water action I saw the last time I was there. Boy did that turn out to be a winning idea.

As soon as I got within sight of my destination I could see fish chasing small bait on top and striking.
The top water action was some of the best I have seen in a while. They were not large fish but it made for some pretty good fishing.

Most of the fish were small schooling jacks but even a small jack can stretch your line! I saw several fish feeding in the mix that would jump completely out of the water and something told me they were ribbon fish though I had never seen them feed like this before.


I had the GoPro camera running and had just made a cast. I started to say I have never caught a ribbon fish before but before I could get the whole sentence out.....wham! Fish on! You guesses it, a Ribbon fish about 30" long had been fooled by my 27MR MirrorLure.


I found out a Ribbon fish can really jump!

There was almost a constant top water strike going on for the 2 hours that I was there and on a super low tide no less.

I did catch one keeper Mangrove Snapper on a fiddler crab but no sheepshead could I find.


about 10:00 I decided I needed to get going and said o.k., last cast. about 20' from the boat a nice little trout blew up on the MR though he was a little short of a keeper.



I had one nice fish break off and rob me of a $8 MirrOdine

My Dad had fish the intracoastal down in Ormond this morning and landed (3) nice trout on live croakers. One was a super nice Trout that weighed right at 5 lbs.

 That's one trophy Trout!

I have been promising him I would fish with him one morning so I guess that is my destination for in the morning.

Larry S.




No comments:

Post a Comment