Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Fishing Report - Jack Crevalle, Trout, Sheepshead, Mangrove Snapper 8-25-12

.
Tide: fished last of incoming then beginning of Out-going
Time Fished: 7:00 am - 10:00m
M.F.-6:20 AM
Partly Cloudy
Wind: NE at 8-12 mph

Other Observations: The water was pretty clear coming in but one it started out it turned red brown from the freshwater runoff. It does not seem to be bothering the fish.

Catch:
-(1) Jacks Crevalle
-(0) Trout  (3 Trout short strikes)
-(4) Mangrove Snapper
-(2) Sheepshead, small

Though I got into some pretty good action with dad Friday morning in Ormond, I couldn't stop thinking about the great top water bit that I found up near Marineland the morning before. My plan was to be on the water about daylight and work them over before the bite turned off.

Unfortunately, the fish were not striking bait on top like I had hoped . In fact I saw only a little top water striking action but I managed to get a good bit of attention on my 5M51 MirrOlure. I had three trout strikes where the trout came completely out of the water. I caught a Jack first thing and had one real good fish on that ran for deep water and really pulled, only to tear off 10 feet from the boat.


I had another 4-5 fish on that came off pretty quick and a number of other strikes and follows.

Though I love to fish top water I have to admit that you will not catch nearly as many fish that you will sub-surface. That's just the way it is. Many end up foul hooked outside the mouth and end up tearing off the hook.

I did catch 3-4 Mangrove Snapper and 2 sheepshead on fiddler crabs but all were small and below the legal minimum so they received a stay of execution.

 
 
One more interesting thing was the Ribbon fish were still around and I got to see them chasing bait and leaping completely out of the water. I clipped a photo out of the video of a ribbon fish in mid air. Pretty wild!



There is a ton of bait in the river right now and it looks like there is no shortage of fish feeding on them.

The wind was a pain in the neck but all in all it was a decent trip.

 Trout strike that also missed the plug!
 
 Trout strike, jumped completely over the plug! Never even touched it!



Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment