Monday, August 6, 2012

Okuma Epixor EF 65A Spinning Reel!

.
Well, It looks like I'm half way back in business!

The Saturday before last I was locked in a heated battle with a nice False Albacor when the brass shaft that holds the plastic tee part of the handle on, snapped off. Lucky for me the fish was almost out of steam at that point but it was still pretty awkward reclaiming all the line the Albi had stripped off.

The next day I was fishing with my backup reel, a Quantum Boca. I was trying to get back on the beach in one piece and got half rolled. I was able to bail out and catch the boat before it went bottom side up
but the reels all took a salt water bath.

If you let this go unchecked, your favorite reel will be a locked up hunk of corrosion on the inside in short order.

When I tore the Boca down, the clutch bearing was broken and put the Boca out of commission.

I needed to do something and do it quick! I got Okuma on the phone and related my story of the reel handle breaking to the customer service tech. His reply was to ask for my shipping address....."I'll have you one out in the mail today Mr. Stephens!"

Okuma sent a complete new replacement handle, all I had to do was pay $3.00 for shipping.

You can't ask for better service than that! I am not sure if this is standard practice for them but I can tell you I would not hesitate to buy another Okuma product after this experience.

The Boca is a story for another post and is an unresolved issue at this point.  

New handle installed!
Boy was I glad to see this thing back operational!

I have kayak fished with this reel for 3 tarpon seasons counting this year and caught some tarpon that would scare ya! Other than the handle, It has worked perfectly. This includes the drag system which is crucial when fishing for big fish from a kayak. I might add, it has taken more than its share of saltwater baths.
If you are looking for a reel in this class, I would highly recommend it. I don't think you can find a better reel for the money.

One more point to consider. I love quality equipment as much as the next guy but when fishing from a kayak there is always the chance that anything you bring aboard could end up on the bottom of the sea! Do you really want to spend $150+ for a reel that you might never see again?

Here's a link for more info on this reel, as usual, Amazon is really hard to beat on price.



Just a note, the difference between the EF 65A and 65B is the housing material. One is alum. and the other is nylon which may be a good choice around the saltwater.
See ya on the big water!

Larry S.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic work guys im a fan of your website.
    https://findsaltwaterspinningreel.com/seaknight-ph-spinning-reel/

    ReplyDelete