Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fishing Report - Sheepshead 8-19-12

.
Tide: Tail end of incoming nearly full
Time Fished: 9:00 am - 11:00 am
M.F.-1:05 PM
Partly Cloudy
Wind: SSW at 10-12 mph

Other Observations: The water is very brown right now. I assume it it tanic acid runoff from all the rain we have been having? tide was so high I had trouble catching some crabs but did not seem to be very many? used up all my bait and quit.

Catch:
-(1) unknown mystery fish?
-(4) sheepshead on, lost two largest.
-(2) small mangrove snapper

I started out on the hunt for some bait schools at the beach this morning but after driving all the way North to Marineland without seeing a single pogy or any birds diving, I decided to hit one of my sheepshead spots where I could at least find something that would pull on my line.

Tide was real high when I arrived at marineland but I was able to catch a dozen or so fiddler crabs.
I almost did not put in due to the wind blowing right down the river but launched anyway.

The Sheepshead were biting when I arrived and I lost a real good one right off the bat that cut me off on a pile.

I lost a few baits and then hooked a fish that I don't think I have ever caught before. If anyone knows what this thing is, please post me a comment.

I also caught a couple small mangrove snappers that were under size.

Then I hooked up with a really good Sheepshead that was the strongest fish I had on all day. That one cut me off on a pile also. I was not as prepared for this trip as I should have been.

The smallest of the sheepshead was just a 1/2" short of the minimum so I tossed him and ended up with the one good keeper. That one should make a meal for me and my bride.

I feel like the fish are there! I just needed more bait and a better tide. It was close to topping out.

I will probably hit them again in a few days.




unknown fish, If anyone knows what this thing is, please post me a comment.


Look at that rod, That's what I like to see!!



Larry S.


P.S.,  I discovered the species of the mystery fish....it is a "Rock Sea Bass"! That's a first for me, maybe even a record, that's about as large as they get.

No comments:

Post a Comment