Sunday, July 3, 2011

.
Halifax - Daytona Beach
Fri & Sat. July 1&2, 2011
Moon - new moon on Fri.
M.F.= 11:40 am
Temp.: Low 73, 89 h.
wind: light winds (east on sat)
pressure: 30.03 (Steady)
humidity:83% -65-100%
rain: 0
Sunny
 

 
 
Dad has been working on the trout and redfish in the Halifax the last couple weeks. He has caught up to 8 reds in a trip and another trip close to 20 trout were hooked up.  He's been catching at least a few trout every trip so we made a plan for an after dark trip  Friday and again on Saturday.
 
I really felt like we were going to work them over but it was SLOW! We only caught one 17" +/- trout on Friday night and zero on Saturday night. We were able to supplement the catch with some redfish so we weren't skunked.
 
Firday night we boated (5) reds, (1) trout and a few ladyfish. We kept (2) 19" reds and the trout that trip.
 
Saturday the tide was slow to change and was weak in flow. We finally managed to catch (3) reds well after dark between 9:30-10:30. Two were short but one was a nice 25" fish that got to take a ride in my chevy. We also had 4-5 ladyfish but no trout.
 
 
 
We fished with live shrimp on both trips both under a cork and carolina riged on the bottom around the docks. We had caught some nice crokers and fished them a little but had no takers.
 
One other unusual thing happened when I snagged a stingray in the top of the head with a 17MR-18 MirrOdine. I thought I had something good until I got him near the boat and he stopped and hugged the bottom. I knew something was up when that happened but I sure was not expecting to see a ray on my plug.
 
 
 
Part of our time both nights was wasted waiting on the tide to get going. I really don't prefer to fish the tail end of the outgoing and beginning of the in coming but that's what we had so we made the best of it.
 
I did not take any pictures Friday night  but I did take a few saturday night. Here they are.
 
Crokers, trout love them!

 
 
Larry S.
 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment