Friday, July 15, 2011

Fishing Report 7/9/11 AM - Indian River Lagoon

.
Mon. July 9, 2011
Moon - One day after First Quarter moon
M.F.= 6:35 am
Temp.: Low 75, 89 h.
wind: S-calm to less than 10 mph
pressure: 29.99 (Steady)
humidity:70% -52-83%
rain: 0
Sunny to partly cloudy

I got a tip from one of the guys on the Orlando Kayak Fishing Club so I decided to give it a try this morning. It was S L O W !! I picked up one short trout trolling with my replacement x-rap on the way across the lagoon but the grass was so bad it was almost impossible. In retrospect I should have stopped there and made a few casts as I was seeing a lot of fish on the finder (over 4' in depth). Something told me to keep going however, probably the dreams of all the 30" trout stached up awaiting me.

I don't know why but there are a pile of dead fish floating on the surface. Mostly mullet but also saw pin fish, a couple reds and trout and some puffer fish? I mean a lot of them.....probably a few hundred.

I fished The recommended depth of 3' plus and minus with both xrap and 17mr without a strike....not even a ladyfish?

I trolled back to the west side and picked up a keeper trout just as I was reaching the depth I wanted to start plugging again. Dropped anchor and caught one more short trout and had a few other fish on.


A bunch of pesky dolphins came by and one just would not leave. fished all the way back north of the launch with almost no action. About a 5 mile paddle all together. I did not get up on the flats. I think it was one of the poorest days I can remember but I guess you have to have one of them once in a while to appreciate the good days.

I did talk to another guy there that I had seen there 2 weekends before and he had not caught a trout, only ladyfish.

The water seemed to have cleared up quite a bit from last weekend.

Anyhow, this trip did not pan out but I'll whoop up on em' next time!

Good Luck,
Larry Stephens

No comments:

Post a Comment