Friday, July 15, 2011

Fishing Report 6/4/11 - Indian River Lagoon, Scottsmoor Ramp

.
Mon. July 4, 2011
Moon - new moon on Fri.
M.F.= 1:30 pm
Temp.: Low 72, 87 h.
wind: calm winds -0-5 mph max.
pressure: 30.01 (Steady)
humidity:81% -66-94%
rain: 0
Sunny to partly cloudy
notes: water dirty, little bit of grass floating

I haven't been able to  get the trout off my mind that I found over at the NIRL. I got up at 4:00 AM to make the drive to Scottsmoor. I was in the water by 6:30 and headed for deeper water.  I moved out to 30-36" of water and started plugging with my 17mr.
I was surprised how slow it was getting started. I picked up a few ladyfish but could not find a trout. The ladyfish we a little larger than average. I fished about 3/4 of a mile south and then decided to head back north.

I had bought a new X-RAP recently and decided to put it on a spinning rod and see what it can do. I

I started running into more bait activity north of the channel to the launch. About 250yds north I hung a trout on the new x-rap, glass-ghost. I made another cast and hooked another. The third cast back to the spot produced the same result. The only problem was they were a little short. I grabbed the rod with the 17MR and made a fourth cast.....nothing, dang it! I made a 5 th cast with the x-rap and fish on, another trout. I could not catch a trout on the 17mr to save my life. I think it was partly due to the dirty water and the x-rap's deeper running depth.

I picked up a few more lady fish and a couple of trout as I moved north but the bit petered out so I headed back south to where I had found the trout. I made a long cast with the x-rap and I didn't make two cranks on the reel and the plug got smashed. The rod bent over and I started loosing line! I thought "this is gona be a heck of a trout!" When I got the fish near the boat I got to see him boil up and saw the spots on his side...trout! The next time the fish came to the top I saw a much bigger fish with a side that looked 6-7 inched wide but it had no spots?? "What the heck was that?" The next thing I know the fish boils up again beside the boat and I've got about a 10lb. sail cat on the front hook and a 17" trout on the rear!! Unbelievable! I really did not know just what to do....the cat was to big for me to grab and I did not want to loose the trout. About that time the fish solved the problem and broke me off. The last I saw them, they were headed down still hooked to the x-rap. Damn the luck! That was a brand new plug.
It looks like This new X-Rap is going to be a winner!

Since that was my one and only xrap and the bite had slowed to a trickle I decided to head for the hill.
It was pretty much my designated quit time anyhow.

I ended up hooking about 8 trout and 30 or so ladyfish. Only 3 of the trout would measure and I had lost all three of them. $35-40 in fuel to get down there and back and I had nothing for the supper table.
That cat trying to eat my trout and hooking both of them at one time made for quite a memory though.

Tight Lines, Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment