Sunday, July 1, 2012

Flagler Beach Fishing Report 6-30-11

Finally, the surf conditions have turned favorable, the wind has turned west and after a day, has really flattened things out. One of my fishing partners, Rick and I made a plan to meet at the beach Saturday morning. There has been just a little bit of scattered bait around but I believe it is all mullet and no pogies yet.

I went over Friday night to try to catch some pin fish for bait, hook and line. That didn’t go as good as I had expected and I was only able to catch a couple pins and two pig fish. The highlight was the small goliath grouper I caught. With all the fishing I have done that was my first Jewfish, though he was not so goliath yet.


I ended up catching a bunch of perfect size mullet first thing Saturday morning to supplement our bait supply.



The plan was to troll and drift some baits around looking for some kings, sharks or bluefish.
We launched about 8:30 AM after scouting North Flagler beach looking and hoping for some pogy pods. Nothing! We put in in front of the Aliki condo as it makes a good land mark. It was so flat that I didn’t even take a wave over the bow paddling out.


We made a number of drifts and paddled north and south but the bite was slow. We only managed a couple of small sharks and two sail cats.




I had rigged my main rod with a stinger rig but still couldn’t hook one of the fish that kept biting the back of the baits off. I had a rod rigged with a buck tail jig and decided to trail a small mullet on it to increase my odds. Unfortunately, that only resulted in a bunch of bodyless mullets.




We had a couple of small schools of mullet come by but they swim so fast you can’t hardly fish them. They are shy of boats also so you can’t get that close. We did not see any striking action on the surface.

About noon time we decided it just wasn’t going to happen today so we called off the dogs and paddled for the hill.

Hopefully, the pogies show up soon so we can have some real action.

Larry S.









No comments:

Post a Comment