Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fishing Report 5/14/11 - Indian River Lagoon

.
Indian River Lagoon Fishing Report-Dummits Cove
Sat.  May 14, 2011
Moon - 3 days to full
M.F.=   7:45  am
Temp.: 79 deg.
wind: SW @ 9-20  mph, 
pressure: 29.76
humidity: 68% avg. (51-83%)  
rain: 0
sunny

I went back to Dummits Cove on the Indian River Side this morning. I just had to fish the big sand flats I had found there using Google Earth that I did not have time to paddle to on the last trip. I have not been fishing the flats here that long but most of the fish I have caught here have all been associated with a sand hole. However, this spot is more of a sand flat than small sand holes that is surrounded by grass flats.

I was up late friday night and up early that morning the fish Pellicer so getting up was tough. I had the alarm set for 3:45AM. I finally made it up an hour late and got out the door at 5:30.

It was good light by the time I got to the end of my 75 mile journey to the launch spot. I grab all my gear and started stroking for the flat. The wind was blowing a little harder than it was supposed to (whats new) and coming across the open lagoon from the SW at 8-10mph. That was a little disappointing. I was really hoping to finally have some light winds to fish.

There were a number of boats moving around looking for fish as I was paddling in. I had a little trouble finding the big sand flat but I spotted a flats boat way out that looked like he was anchored and I knew he had to parked over some sand. After another hundred yds or so I hit it and the bottom turned from dark green to white and I grabbed my plug rod with a suspending twitch bait on the business end, a MirrOdine 17MR. It is an ideal plug for this situation and works 6-12" below the surface depending on how hard you work it. It can get down to maybe 24" if need be.

I hooked up on the second cast and I thought I was probably gona set a new county record before the morning was done. That was where the action ended. By the time I landed the fish and snapped a picture the wind had blown me off the spot and I started looking for another hole which was a little tough in the light chop and low sun. I found a small hole shortly and drew a strike on the first cast but it was a pin fish not a whole lot bigger than the plug.

After fishing a number of holes with both the plug and a flats bucktail jig I rigged my bait rod with a gulp shrimp. I fished a few holes with it but only attracted some hungry pinfish. These things are really tough and those pin fish were actually able to pull off some of the tail. That was a pretty good sign as far as the bait goes. I have not used them much but I know of a guy that I have seen kill the redfish here with them.


I was beginning to believe there were not any reds on the flat to speak of so I started easing slowly north east with the wind. After a ways, all of the sudden this redfish tail pops up not 20 feet from the side of the boat! He had no idea I was there. I shoved my stake pole thru the scupper hole and grabbed the gulp. The gulp is pretty big and heavy so forget about casting it close to a fish. I put it down well beyond him and reeled it up close to him and waited, nothing!  In a minute his tail came back up a few feet to the left. I re positioned the bait and waited, nothing. this went on for about 8 or 10 minutes before he finally disappeared. I felt I should have been able to catch that fish, can't explain that one.


I ended up on some sand bottoms that were kind of brown looking and hooked a lady fish on the first cast. The second cast with the flats jig produced the same result. It was a small one and I decide to keep it for bait. I hooked up with a few more ladyfish that managed to throw the jig but they are fun to fool with.

I decided to start paddling back slowly and try to spot a redfish. After a bit I came up on one that was just barely making a disturbance on the surface and exposed his tail for a second. I pitched a jig to him but ended up bumping him in the back and he turned inside out and shot off  like a rocket.

Paddling up to a white sand hole I staked down on the lee side and made a cast with the jig. I felt a pin fish tapping on it and all of the sudden, wham! A little red. He came streaking by the side of the boat with a bigger red right on his tail, about  a 22 incher. Naturally, I had the littlest one on the hook.


I padded into the wind headed back but it was really noisy. My paddle is a little short and if I tip it in the water deep enough to be quiet it drips water into the boat on the other end. A real pain in the but that I need to remedy soon. Anyhow, I jumped a number of reds on the way back but could not get one right for a cast.

I paddled across the shallow channel to a east west bank to try to get out of the wind for the paddle back. I jumped a number of fish in some grass with some long runners floating on top, just off the bank.

Had I been paying attention to the fish instead of looking at this Blue Herring, I might have spotted a 20" red, 10 feet from the boat, practically on the bank with his back almost out of the water. Had to give myself a damn it Larry for that one.

I jumped a number of fish on this bank and there were quite a few small schools of finger mullet working there. It was time to be getting out of there so I could get to my niece Kristina's wedding at 6:00 pm. and about a 150 mile run.

There are some fish there but it was a little slower that I was looking for. I probably only caught about 7-8 fish and they were all smaller.

The bottom there is pretty firm so wading is a possibility. However, there were sting rays everywhere you looked.


I think I might head back to the spot I had caught all the fish last year over on the ocean side of Mosquito Lagoon and see what is using the flat there.

Good Luck,
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment