Saturday, May 28, 2011

Fishing Report, Pellicer, 5/27/11

.
Pellicer Fishing Report
Fri.  May 27, 2011
Moon - 3 days past Last Quarter
M.F.=  7:35 am
Temp.:  71 L-88 H.
wind: SSE @ 4/7AM-15/2PM  mph, (light winds early)
pressure: 29.95
Humidity: 79 avg.(61-94)  
Rain: Rain started just after 2:00pm
Sunny

I went back to Pellicer this morning. When I arrived the tide was still coming in and never got very high. I don't know just what time it changed as I was on the flat but I believe it was around 7:30-8:00 AM. I pretty much fished the worst tide conditions, very tail end of the outgoing and the slack tide. On top of that there were no less than 5 boats all trying to fish the small flat. By 8:30 the action was so slow I decided to paddle out.

I knew the tide would not be exactly right but I wanted to fish so fish I did. Pretty much all I did was fish, there was little catching involved! I  did pick up a short red in the cut on the way in to the flats. I noticed a small bait leap out of the water in the middle of the shallow cut. It was not a bait you normally see jump so I new something had chased it to the top! I grabbed my jig rod and made a cast to the spot. About 3 seconds later I had the red on the other end of a tight line. It's important when your fishing shallow water to always be paying attention to what is going on around you, ready to capitalize on any opportunities that may present themselves.

That would have been the end of a rather poor trip but for one thing. I had noticed some fiddler crabs on an exposed mud bank on the way in and I stopped and caught a half dozen or so, without any real plan for them.

There are a few pilings that I typically pass on the way to the flats and one day last year with the sun high in the sky I came paddling by real close to the piles and I could see some sheepshead hanging around them. Well, I had a rod rigged for bait so I put a couple crabs on and dropped them in tight to one of the piles. It instantly drew a bite but I missed him. I re-baited and slipped it back in and caught a big pin fish. I put my last two crabs on and they were stolen immediately....never even felt him.

I thought that was pretty interesting and I might be on to something. I paddled over to a sand beach that was exposed from the falling tide and had an oyster bar beside it. There was an army of fiddler crabs there and I chased down about 3 dozen or so in the oysters. I paid for them in blood however.... I cut the heck out of my fingers flipping oysters.

I paddled back over to the pilings and it was on. It was difficult to keep the yak in position and fish so close to the pile. Who knows how many I ran off when the wind or boat wake pushed me in to close to the piles. However, before it was over I put 8 or 10 stripped bandits and one real nice 24" redfish in the boat. I lost at least 3 real nice ones also.  A couple pulled so hard on my medium action Ugly stick it felt like they were going to break it.

The fiddler crab idea turned a sows ear into a silk purse and I came home with some nice fish. Had I started off fishing like this I feel like I would have had a limit.

My gear today was an Okuma Epixor 30 spinning reel, 6'6" medium action UglyStick rod, 30lb power pro with a 17lb mono leader and 2/0 eagle claw bait hook. I was using a small cork as well due to the kayak and difficulty trying to hold a position. Had I been in a regular boat or maybe if I had brought my anchor I would probably have just free lined straight down, no cork. I think I would like to use a bronze hook but I have to look into what is available. Sheepshead can be shy to bite. A bronze hook would blend in to the crab legs though the shinny silver Eagle Claws did not seem to bother them this day.

The Okuma is a great little reel for the money. Here's a link with more info. : Okuma Epixor, I also like the low stretch of the power pro for this kind of fishing.: Power Pro, The ugle stick stick rod is also one of my favorite rods for the money and has a great warranty: Ugly Stick rod.

Here's some pictures of em'. Even got a couple action shots for ya!

That's a nice sheepshead there! Look at the stickers on his back!

This 24" red fell to a little fiddler crab!

This one was a little short but he sure was pretty!


Another real nice bait steeler!


I found this stone crab flipping oysters while catching fibbler crabs,
Don't let this guy catch your finger!





Mangrove roots, you don't see many grow this way up here.

Another short one.



Man, that one was stretching my line!



 I had fish everywhere... forgot to bring a stringer!

That's a low tide! I made it out just before the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment