Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Fishing Report 5/24/11 - Pellicer Flats

.
Pellicer Fishing Report
Tues.  May 24, 2011
Moon - Last Quarter today
M.F.=  5:05 pm
Temp.:  84
wind: SSE @ 10-12  mph, (pretty windy)
pressure: 29.98
humidity:   
rain: 0
sunny

Notes: Barometer was slightly falling thru the day 30.05-29.98! Light chop, water clarity low.

I loaded up and headed for Pellicer flats this afternoon. I got a little later start than I wanted due to a client stopping by. When I got to the launch I couldn't believe how low the water was! There was already 16" of water gone out and many oyster bars were well out of the water. I expect the Southerly wind had help the tide extra low.

The wind was blowing right down the river which made paddling in a little more of a chore. I fished my way in one of the cuts leading to the flats and picked up a nice 16" trout off a point at a tee in the creek. The trout smashed a 5m18 floater on the deeper side of the creek, along the mangrove bushes. He never came up to fan the top of the  water like a trout but it was a good fight and I thought it might be the start of a good afternoon. I have really been wanting to get into some top water trout action. Fooling a big trout into striking a top water plug is as exciting as fishing can get.


Well, I paddled for the flats from there, to a little area with channels and oyster bars that has been good to me in the past. Unfortunately, this day would not be one of those days. I never drew another strike for the rest of the evening. Other than some active bait (mostly mullet) the flat was pretty dead and I never saw any striking activity.

I also fished a curly tail chartreuse jig with no success. After the last trip which I had some trout activity on, I expected to see some action. I will say the tide was pretty low and had been going out for probably and hour and a half by the time I got there.

I had planned to go tomorrow but I may hold off on going back for now. The tide will be better but it has just been so windy it almost takes the fun out of it.

Here's a couple nice pictures anyway,



Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment