Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fishing Report 6/25/11 - Marineland

.
Marineland, Florida
Sat.  June 25, 2011
Moon - 2 days past last quarter
M.F.=  7:00 am
Temp.: Low 73,  86 h.
wind: variable@ 5-8mph (it was up and down, it would lay then change directions)
pressure: 29.98
humidity: 83% -66-100%   
rain: 2 1/4" last night and 1 3/4" this afternoon
Partly to mostly cloudy & building into the afternoon
 
After giving my self some time to heal up from the kayak fishing tournament last weekend I decided to try some sheepshead fishing for a change, up around Marineland.
 
The first order of business was to catch some bait. I stopped at the beach on the way to round up some sand fleas. I didn't have any kind of sifter so I just used a shovel and dumped it up on the hard beach to catch the fleas. It took a while but I caught 3 dozen or so and headed north.
 
There were a pile of pelicans diving bait way out but I could not see what kind of bait it was with the cloud cover.
 
I also caught up some fiddler crabs after I launched to go with my fleas.
 
 
The tide was supposed to full about 7 AM so it was about half out by the time I got there. That was not really the plan but it took well over an hour to catch the fleas.
 
My first fish came pretty quick but I was surprised to see a small Gag Grouper when I got him to the boat. I was only in 3 feet of water when I caught him.
 
 
I was getting a few bites starting out but they were all a little short. I finally caught a good sheepshead after a while but he would be the first and last for this day. I did have one other one that was just about 12" but I turned him loose.
 
There is some kind of major construction project going on in the river right now and there are some big barges and dredges anchored everywhere. There are some large pipes on the west side of the river and it looks like they are dredging a pipe line in of some sort. The water is pretty muddy looking and I suspect this did not help my fishing outcome.
 
That's pretty much the report for now. (1) grouper, (5) sheepshead
 


 
Larry S.

No comments:

Post a Comment