Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fishing Report 6/9/11 - Pellicer Flats

.
Pellicer Fishing Report
Thurs.  June 9, 2011
Moon - first quarter today
M.F.=  5:30 pm
Temp.:  low 80's
Wind: E @ 10-15
pressure: steady (high)
Humidity:   
Rain: 0
Sunny

(2) redfish
(5) sheepshead
(1) pinfish
(1) ?fish


I checked my tide table today and realized the tide was going to be good this afternoon at Pellicer so I loaded up, put the closed sign on the door and headed for the river.

As soon as I got to the beach I spotted a pogy pod at the back of the mud line in the surf. Their finally here! I did not see any tarpon or other big strikes in them but it won't be long. I probably saw 7-8 pods north of hwy 100. I pulled over to watch one larger bunch and saw something really big strike in the breakers. It put water 3-4ft. in the air! I'm about to be all over this!

Well, my plan was to get to the river before the tide fulled so I could still catch a few fiddler crabs and try to catch a few sheepshead before paddling for the flats for some top water action.

I spent about a half hour to catch 3 dozen or so fiddlers and paddled over to fish some piles. There did not seem to be to many keeper sheepies in the area. I caught 5 but only 2 were decent keepers and guess which two got off right at the boat. I caught an odd fish that I'm not sure the name of and a few pin fish. I did put a short redfish in the boat that put up a good little fight.
By 8:00 I had used the last of my fiddler crabs so I hauled but for the closest cut to get me to the flats.

I really think I messed up staying so long at the sheepshead spot. I should have left there by 7:00 to give me time to fish the flats. As it was, I only had time to fish the cut and it was almost dark by the time I reached the edge of the flats.

There was a pile of bait, mostly finger mullet but I did see some small birds diving glass minnows on the way in over a deep hole. There was several surface strikes on the way in. When I reached a point in the creek where it splits off in several directions I saw a fish strike some bait on the surface just out of casting distance on the opposite bank and across from a point where I caught a decent trout on the last trip. I made sever more casts and then took a couple strokes to nose the yak onto a shallow mud shoal where I could cast to where I saw the strike. My cast was a bit short of where I wanted it but about the third time I sloshed the old 5m18 mirrorlure an explosions erupted from under my plug and the fight was on. The fish dove for the bottom but the cut was narrow and he had little room to run. I really thought I had a big gator trout on but after about 5 minute or so I finally got to see a big blue tail with a spot come boiling up.....Oh man, big red! Well, I got the fish in the boat and he was a beauty to behold as Capt. Ricky would say! 27" of of line stretching mean. There is no fishing more exciting than seeing a big predator strike a top water plug like that. I can not get enough of that!

It was a good thing he was pretty much right at the upper end of the slot as releasing him was not an option.....he had inhaled the plug and the tail treble was in his stomach. His fate was sealed.

I cut the line and quickly tied a white back floater on and keep going. Just before I got to the flat I spotted some action at the edge of an oyster bar just at the end of casting distance. I fired off a long one and just caught the edge of the oysters and couldn't flip it off.....hung! I started to paddle over when a fish struck along the deep side of the cut to my right. I free spooled the hung line, grabbed another rod and flipped a twitch bait to him. He hit it but did not get hooked. I made a second cast but it was long and hung in the mangrove.....now I've got one rod hung up on the left and one on the right! While trying to get the plug out of the bush the spinning rod in the back rod holder got hung up.......!#*!$!*&@! What the hell! How can one man in a kayak get 3 rod all hung up at the same time?

By the time I got all that mess straightened out it was pretty much over. I went ahead and paddled for the long oyster bar I wanted to fish, hoping I might pick off a trout before hard dark. No luck but there was a tremendous amount of bait and I really feel had I been there an hour earlier I would have been on some fish.

The tide will be perfect tomorrow night! I think I'll just have to go back. 
Here's a few little one to look at!





Larry S.
If your looking for a great top water plug that 5m18 Mirrorlure is the ticket! It also works better than the "walk the dog" plugs like the Skitterwalk in a light chop. I can't tell you how many fish I've caught on this thing but I promise you it's considerable. Here's a link for more info. 5m18 Mirrorlure. I always pull the front spinner off myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment